The “fiscal cliff” and “taxageddon” refer to a convergence of fiscal events (or government spending and tax policies that influence the economy) slated to occur almost simultaneously at the end of 2012. If these terms aren’t on your radar yet, they are sure to be soon, as the media loves nothing better than drama and […]
Archive | Tax Planning RSS feed for this section
As a financial advisor, I’ve read my share of tax books. So, I poured myself a strong cup of coffee, made sure I wasn’t too comfortable and opened Small Business Taxes Made Easy by Eva Rosenberg. After reading the first few pages, I realized that this tax book was different. First of all, I enjoyed […]
If you’ve been reading my blog, you know that I’ve been writing about the Ten Simple Truths About Money. These truths are meant to act as a framework to provide new ways for you to think about money that are easy to understand and implement. Simple Truth #4 is “Inflation and Taxes Are Money’s Enemies.” […]
Tax Planning Tutorial: This Fee Only Planner Thinks It’s Time To Clear up the Confusion Over the Gift Tax Law
There are many confusing tax laws, but the one that seems to generate the most misunderstanding is the gift tax law. Everyone seems to be aware that people can give up to $13,000 (this amount is periodically adjusted for inflation) a year with no tax consequences – but beyond that it’s fuzzy. A client asked me today if she would have to pay tax on a $100,000 gift her parents were planning to give her to buy a house. The answer is no.
About Cathy Curtis
Cathy Curtis is a fee only Certified Financial Planner (CFP) and investment advisor who specializes in the finances of women, their families and businesses.
Sign up for The Happiness Spreadsheet
Sign up today and receive a free download of The Happiness Spreadsheet e-Book.
Learn how to create a life aligned with your values, beliefs and ideals.
By opting in you are subscribing to my email newsletter.
- Financial Planner Helps You Discover Your Money Personality January 18, 2010
- Women and Money – Women in the Food Biz Talk Business Plans July 1, 2009
- Financial Advisor on Why You Weren’t Born To Shop (Simple Truth #3) February 20, 2010
- Women And Money: Primp Your LinkedIn Profile March 6, 2010
- Fee Only Financial Planner Interviews Abby June 23, 2009
- A New Resource for your Financial Planning Education October 25, 2013
- The Truth About Diversification October 9, 2013
- Buying A New Home? Some Common Misconceptions About Financing It June 26, 2013
- Emotionally Charged Money: Inheritance May 8, 2013
- Retirement Planning Strategies for Stay-at-Home Moms February 20, 2013
- Kristina: I love this analogy...it's memorable, relatable a...
- Fern LaRocca CFP® EA: So sorry for your loss. .... Fern LaRocca CFP®...
- Heather O\'Neill: Cathy: I was so sorry to hear about the passing...
- Kristina: Cathy - I am deeply sorry for your loss. My heart ...
- Kristina: Thanks for sharing you and your Mom's personal st...
© 2013 Of Independent Means. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by WordPress. Designed by